- 2013, D.N.P., Purdue University
- 1997, M.S., Purdue University
- 1994, B.S.N., Valparaiso University
Adjunct Professor Coto joined the faculty in 2013. He teaches evidence based practice and nursing research for the graduate program. Prior to joining the ONU faculty, Professor Coto was an ER Clinical Nurse Specialist for a local hospital, and a flight nurse for the University of Chicago Medical Center and also the director of pediatric trauma for Comer Children’s Hospital. Dr. Coto most currently served as director of operations for the Neuroscience Institute and Surgical Service Line at Riverside Medical Center and currently works for the medical center as the research analyst for the magnet department. Having research and clinical expertise in healthcare economics of chronic disease management, Dr. Coto has published on pediatric lower airway disease in Journal of Nursing Case Management, and on inpatient diabetes management in Clinical Nurse Research-International Journal of Advance Nursing Practice and Clinical Nurse Specialist. Professor Coto’s EPB project, Relationship Between Standardized Glycemic Protocols and Healthcare Cost, was developed as a result of his experiences as the Director of Nursing for Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center, which served an at-risk immigrant population. His research abstract, “An Economic Evaluation of Blood Glucose at Discharge,” was accepted to the American Diabetic Association 73rd Scientific Sessions in 2013. In 2014, two of his thesis chapters were published in peer-reviewed research journals. He is currently working on research exploring the relationship between inpatient falls and nursing education. Dr. Coto is a member of Sigma Theta Tau International - Mu Omega, AACN, and INCAMP.
Current Membership in Professional Organizations Initial Membership
- Indiana State Board of Nursing 2015 – Current
- Golden Key Purdue University West Lafayette Honors 2013 – Current
- College of Science Interdisciplinary Research Committee 2013 – Current
- Sigma Theta Tau – Mu Omega 1997 – Current
- American Association Critical Care Nurses 1997 – Current
- Emergency Nurses Association 1995 – Expired 2012
- Midwest Decision Science institute Annual Conference (2016) – Paper Submission and Presentation - Relationship between Patient Falls and RN Education.
- 23rd Annual Nursing Research Consortium (2015). Relationship between Patient Falls and RN Education, Merrillville, IN
- ISPAN 2015 Midwest Conference (2015). Relationship between Patient Falls and RN Education, Naperville, IL – Took 3rd place in poster board presentation
- ADA 72nd Scientific Sessions (2013). Economics of Diabetes Management. Chicago, IL
- Living Health, Balance and Hope (2010), Making the Transition as a Clinician. Valparaiso, IN
- Nursing Spectrum Fall Exposition (2002), Pain Management and Guided Imagery. Chicago, IL
- Pediatric Asthma & Community Initiatives (2001), Pulmonary Physiology. Chicago, IL
- Indiana Biomedical Society (2001), Pulmonary Physiology. Carmel, IN
- Neurotrauma Symposium (1999), Management of Traumatic Brain Injury. Merrillville, IN
- Nursing Case Management Conference (1998), Pediatric Asthma Care Plan Development. Phoenix, AZ.
Coto, J.A., Yehle, K. & Foli, K. (2016). Relationship between standardized glycemic protocols and healthcare cost. Clinical Nurse Research, (25)1, 67-78. doi:10.1177/1054773814539003
Coto, J.A., Yehle, K. & Foli, K. (2014). Relationship between uncontrolled glycemia and the cost of hospitalization. Clinical Nurse Specialist-An International Journal,(28)5, 283-287. doi:10.1097/NUR.0000000000000071
Coto, J.A. (2013). An economic evaluation of blood glucose at discharge. Diabetes, 2660-PO, 2295.
Coto, J.A. (2008, June). Emergency & Intermediate Care. Life and Times, 24-26.
Coto, J.A. (2008). Neonatology. In Chapleau, W., Burba, A.C., Pons, P.T. & Page, D. (Eds.), The Paramedic (1027-1049). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
Coto, J.A. (2002). Executive summary. In Blumen, I. J. (Eds.), A Safety Review and Risk Assessment in Air Medical Transport (1-6). Salt Lake City, UT: Air Medical Physician Association.
Coto, J.A. (1998). Pediatric lower airway disease: Do not be blown away by cost. Journal of Nursing Case Management, (3)2, 75-80.
Coto, J.A. (1998). The cardiac alert system, does it really work? The Cardiac Monitor, (2)1, 5-6.